Posted on 07 September 2017
I gave my own children the task of creating this meal, which by the way, is just right for a kid-friendly weekend dinner! The next day after school as they were eating their snacks, they started sharing their ideas. And voila! The recipe was born as they raided the cabinets, created a grocery list, and started jotting down the steps. I couldn't ask for anything better than kids creating in the kitchen! This mama is so proud. And, it is delicious! Thumbs up to our three kids for their combined effort in taking on this task and creating a new go-to meal for our hungry family of five! Enjoy!
For the Salsa
- 3 red tomatoes
- 1 yellow tomato
- 5 green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 t crushed red pepper
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 t sage
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped cilantro
For the Pasta
- 1 bag Natura Amica Caramelle Pasta
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Chipotle jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Prepare the salsa so that the flavors can meld as the rest of the meal cooks. First, chop the tomatoes, green onions, and jalapeno pepper into small pieces and place them in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the spices onto the vegetables in the bowl and mix well. Mix frequently to let the spices blend with the vegetables.
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until the beef is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle the spices over the beef. Reduce heat and stir. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan mixing occasionally. You can use your own taco seasoning if you prefer, but this is our favorite!
- In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and do not rinse. Return the pasta to the pot.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the pasta and add the beef mixture. Stir well to combine and allow the cheese to melt.
- At this point, the meal could be served with the salsa and sour cream added by each person. If everyone loves salsa, combine it with the pasta, mix well, and serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Wondering what to pair with this dish? Tonnino Nero d'Avola! The slight spice with the spice of the salsa is a wonderful flavor combination.